SALTO Participation and Information (SALTO PI) is organising a Media and Information Literacy Study Visit to Barcelona, Spain from the 24th of October till 27th of October. We invite you to join parts of the programme via live streaming!
The aim of the project is to promote Media and Information Literacy (MIL) skills, support cooperation and new quality initiatives.
“MIL skills are survival skills. We need to be able to access, find, critically analyze and use media to thrive individually and also ensure democratic participation. Media is all around us and impacting our choices, world view and actions on a daily basis,” said Meelika Hirmo, the MIL Coordinator at SALTO PI.“It could be experienced as negative and threatening, but it can also be very empowering when you use media ethically and strategically. For example, to make the voices of more vulnerable groups heard, stand up against populism, hate speech or cyber bullying, or recognise internet scams and disinformation. It’s also about making smarter choices as a citizen. This is why we are very excited to visit many professional and impactful organisations in Barcelona to look for opportunities to work together,” she added.
Live streaming schedule:Facebook and Youtube channels.Live streaming will take place on SALTO PI’s
- Monday 24 October at 18:00 CEST: Study visit to Radio-Actius An inspirational story by a community radio which empowers local people as media makers, giving them a stronger voice.
- Tuesday 25 October at 18:00 CEST: Study visit to Mèdia.cat How do journalists tackle topics that are silenced, censored or misreported? How to recognise disinformation?
- Wednesday 26 October at 12:30 CEST: Study visit to Nexes Interculturals Exchange on how youth workers are using game-based learning to promote MIL skills.
- Wednesday 26 October at 18:00 CEST: Barcelona tour through the eyes of young migrants Yes, we’ll be live from the streets of Barcelona!
- Thursday 27 October at 9:30 CEST: “Keep Calm and Educate in MIL: Insights for Youth Workers in Challenging Times” Presentation by an experienced youth worker, e-participation and uouth information expert now working as a MIL trainer and project coordinator at DW Akademie.
- Thursday 27 October at 16:00 CET: Open networking event with participants and local MIL organisations We will be reporting live and sharing flash interviews with inspirational local organisations who work on MIL.
The Media and Information Literacy Study Visit “May the Source Be With You!” is organised by SALTO Participation and Information Resource Centre (SALTO PI) in cooperation with the local partner Nexes Interculturals. The activities are funded from the Erasmus+ programme of the European Union with the support of partnering National Agencies from Estonia, Netherlands, Belgium (Flanders), Spain and Austria. The Media and Information Literacy Study Visit celebrates the European Year of Youth and the Global MIL Week.
Media & Information Literacy Coordinator
SALTO Participation and Information Resource Centre