THE EXPLORERS OF THE MEDIA MAP MATERIAL contains an operation model, information and exercises for the media education of children and young people in various age groups (12+). The model is based on children’s and young people’s own experiences and media culture. The aim of the model is to develop media and multiliteracy and to learn to recognise and be aware of the emotions evoked by the media, as well as the methods of influencing our emotions used in the media. This aim is realised in part with making your own media content.
A central tool created for this operation model is the media map with which students and other users can do the assignments and move from one section of the model to the next.
THE OPERATION MODEL CONSISTS OF
1. ALL SORTS OF EMOTIONS: warm-up exercises about emotions
2. MEDIA NAVIGATION: discussions and exercises about media
3. UNDER THE MAGNIFYING GLASS: analysis of emotions evoked by the media
4. PRODUCING EMOTIONS: learning by making your own productions
5. LIVE FROM OUTER SPACE: presenting your productions and final discussion
The Explorers of the Media Map operation model has been designed and produced in cooperation by the National Audiovisual Institute, the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority, Media education centre Metka, the Finnish Society on Media Education and the Finnish National Board of Education for the 2016 Media Literacy Week.